Saturday, April 2, 2011

the shattered chain.

I am struggling to write this post. Partly because half of my brain is thinking about Louis MacNeice and Modernist poetry (for an essay I have to write) and the other half is thinking about Marion Zimmer Bradley and feminist science fiction (which I finished reading the other day). I'm pretty sure you don't get two authors and genres that are more different. But let me try put that incredibly British man aside and focus on the American woman. (There are some labels you can't escape).

There is something shocking about Marion Zimmer Bradley's novels. Apart from her unforgettable name, her covers almost always involve a badly-drawn, out-of-proportion, semi-naked person. Which is slightly off-putting. But once you start reading, it becomes increasingly difficult to stop. Which is also a little disconcerting. The Shattered Chain is part of the Darkover series and this is the only one I've read from that series. However if I was going to become obsessed with a fantasy-land I'd be perfectly content with Marion Zimmer Bradley's world of Darkover, where patriarchy reigns in the most subtle and obvious ways and the only truly free women are the Free Amazons who have their own rules and boy, are they cool.

If boys dream about becoming a Jedi warrior, then I dream about becoming a Free Amazon. I would be able to run fast and fight with a knife and gallop on a horse and defend myself and have smart yet terrifying quips to any man who offended me. All the while being graceful and dignified. And I would have short sexy hair and be strong and alluring all at the same time. And I would be able to fly. (Ok, so the Free Amazons can't fly but I may as well indulge in the fantasy).

The thing I love about Marion Zimmer Bradley's fantastical world, is that it is never a case of men being the evil, domineering, bad-guys out to crush women. And the women are not always the brave and brilliant heroines fighting for the cause. Some of the female characters are just as awful and tyrannic as the male characters and some of the male characters are just as fair and lovely and charming as the female characters. Like a good feminist, she does not discriminate or simplify morals and gender. It is difficult to explain, but there are certain passages in her book where one thinks, "That's exactly it! Yes! Someone else thinks so too... Ha!" But those passages are difficult to pinpoint and describe.

It is interesting that she had to create an entirely new world in order to write about women who have total agency over their lives. But then, who, regardless of sex, has total agency over their lives? This gender issue becomes so circular and inter-twined that I find difficulty in talking (let alone writing) about it. This is where Marion Zimmer Bradley's avoidance of making things simply black and white turn into a highly confusing grey-mushy-philosophical question about men and women that is sort of making my brain explode right now especially because I haven't quite got rid of Louis MacNeice and his Oxford cronies teetering on the edge of my mind and this too-long sentence alone is begin to overwhelm me completely so I'm going to stop now.

This seems to be a messily-splurged post about something that I am not quite sure about. So, let me close off with my new-found suspicion of redheads. In The Shattered Chain there is a group of people who are can read minds and are highly psychic. These people are usually redheads. And now I don't trust them.

No comments:

Post a Comment