Wednesday, January 23, 2013

a sport of nature.

The only vaguely disappointing thing about this book is the title. It's not a bad title, it's just a bit unimpressive, tricky to remember.

Other than that - this might just be the best book I've ever read in my life. Ever. I'm serious, I know that I speak highly of most of the books I read (which I like to think means that I have pretty good taste in books as opposed to being a book slut that gushes over anything I happen to come across) but I enjoyed this book massively (and somehow differently) to other Very Good Books I've read.

It is the first novel I've read by Nadine Gordimer, aside from a few short stories here and there. Written in 1987, it follows the life of Hillela, a white South African girl who has an incredibly interesting life that begins and ends in South Africa but journeys across Western Europe, Eastern Europe, America and much of Africa as Hillela embarks on what turns out to be pretty fascinating life and also political career.

The combination of how well Gordimer writes, how good at story-telling she is, plus her amazing knowledge of African and South African politics and history made this book not only Really Good but also Really Special in terms of literature concerning my own country. It's somewhat sad but ultimately true that narratives set in and pertaining to my home are still a novelty to me since up until recently I've been bombarded and enamoured with American and European stories. I am thoroughly enjoying the intentional change in literature.

As a character, Hillela is incredibly complex and slippery and she seems to keep herself at distance from the reader, although the reader becomes besotted with her odd sense of undeniable charm (at least I did). Even though she is clearly the protagonist, one is never quite sure of what is happening in her head but rather the action and other characters simply charge on around her and she somehow remains untouched. I felt as though Hillela was even able to keep Gordimer at a distance, such a rich and textured character she is.

I can't think of what else to write really, except for how this is definitely on my top 5 list of books right now, I think. My next Nadine Gordimer will be 'Occasion for Love'. I'm excited.

Also - I'm getting worse at blogging, aren't I?

Some Pictures:


First Edition Cover 


The cover I have



(She's so lovely)







No comments:

Post a Comment